Friday, July 10, 2009

A Community Cat makes a Neighborhood


I would like to introduce you to Olivia. Olivia is an SPCA feral rescue cat living on Pacific between Van Ness and Franklin Streets in San Francisco. I met Olivia last March. And then I met Omar, Kathleen, Virginia, and at least twenty other human neighbors who live on the block. I like to joke that Olivia should have a facebook page for all her "friends." I wonder if others out there have stories about neighborhood cats creating social interaction on their blocks? Since I met Olivia I have heard neighbors offer to shop for one another if someone is ill, to check in on each other's partners, kids, dogs and lives and I have been a part of time spent just sitting outside, talking together and watching the people and pets go by. Olivia, of course, is often a main part of the conversation but in between we seem to learn about each other's jobs, health, and lives. On an urban block this is unusual. Do you have stories like this? If you don't know the story of "Pretty Boy," an East Village Cat who recently passed away, you can read about him here. If so, let me know. I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment